Monday, March 15, 2010

My Favorite Recipe

I've recently been asked to share my secret recipe... I don't typically share, but what the heck! It's actually about 3 different recipes that I stole bits and pieces of, to create a wonderful, delicious, perfect tortilla soup. I also don't measure anything when I cook, so this took some effort. The measurements are estimates, so change it according to your taste buds... I won't be offended. So here it goes:


Toppings:

1 bunch of green onion

1-2 avocados

12 ounces Mexican blend cheese

1 bag tortilla chips (I like to fry strips of corn tortillas in vegetable oil and make my own, but that can be time consuming)



Ingredients:

2-3 cloves of garlic

4 chicken breasts

½ cup red onion

½ cup yellow onion

1 cup frozen corn

1 can Rotel tomatoes & chilies diced

1 can black beans rinse and strained

1 cup salsa

2 cans chicken broth low sodium

1 cup milk

8 ounces softened/room temp cream cheese

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp pepper



In crock pot or large pot:

Add 2 cans chicken broth, salsa, black beans, Rotel tomatoes & chilies, cumin, and chili powder.


Cook chicken:

I fry mine in a pan with granulated garlic, Johnny’s Seasoning Salt, and pepper… but you can boil it, cook a whole chicken and shred it, whatever you like.


In skillet:

Melt 1-2 tablespoons of margin or butter then, add red & yellow onion, 2 cloves crushed garlic, pepper, corn. Cook until onions soften and darken, then add it all to the pot or crock pot.


*Cook as long as you want, the longer the better. ½ hour prior to serving add milk, and cream cheese, stir until smooth and melted (sometimes that’s easier said than done, I don’t always add the cream cheese as it can be lumpy).


To serve:

Crumble chips in the bottom of a bowl, top with soup, then top with cheese, green onion, and fresh avocado. (I love cheese, so the more the merrier!)



Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy, I must try this today... okay not today but this weekend for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...thanks for sharing!

    Melissa
    www.thecorkums.com

    ReplyDelete